Davis Day 5
This morning started out with the usual. Davis was happy and we headed off to vacuum and wash Jenny's car as a surprise. Before we left we cleaned it out-D leaping from front to back and back again as I removed items and trash (remember, it is not a back seat, it is a large purse). We arrived and I opened the car doors and started the vacuum with D strapped in and watching. As I vacuumed the floor nearest his car seat I glanced up and his mouth was hanging wide open. I had quite a giggle over that -he is driven to learn anything new and was dumbfounded. We then drove through the car wash and Gramma learned that if sun shades are hanging in the window it is not water tight. Not too much damage done. He was getting tired of this and we headed home. I gathered my purse and drink and other odds and ends and let him out of the car. I had not closed the garage door (silly Gramma) which was his invitation to start down the driveway. I futilely tried to explain about going in and setting my things down so we could go in the backyard to blow bubbles. He strongly resisted and in desperation I picked him up with him fighting tooth and nail. I could not hang on and carried him in by his shirt, Mission Impossible style, a few inches from the ground. He was not a happy camper and we made it in the door with one arm out of the sleeve. I put down the stuff (my smart Alec son said I should have just put down the stuff and gone out front) and went out the back door and started blowing bubbles which got him interested. The bubbles were just sitting on air barely moving which was the perfect way for him to catch them. He noticed his truck on the lawn and played with the water in it which triggered a memory of a previous night and he ran to his shovel and started pouring dirt onto the lawn chair again. I was able to snag his shirt and shorts and left him in Kroc's and a diaper, his favorite attire next to bare naked. What a happy boy! At some point I got the idea to turn the hose on a trickle -some weird idea about rinsing his hands and he was even more enthralled. Water + dirt = mud. It was mud pie city. Total ecstasy. At some point he took the hose and started filling his flower pot and stirring mud stew. He was up to his elbows and I thought to get the camera (pictures to follow). I sat on a stool and just watched the show. At 11:20 I started talking about getting ready to go in and kept repeating things about cleaning up. I got the hose and started hosing off the patio and then Davis. He is smarter than me so he then thrusts his clean hands back in the pot and sits there knowing I cannot take him in that way. I finally got most of the mud off, wrapped him in a towel and heaved him through the door howling like a banshee. He stood at the door naked crying for a full 5 minutes which was enough time to start a movie and lunch. As he stood watching Buzz Lightyear I was able to sneak a diaper on. I am the all time pro of standing diaper changes thanks to Kevin. I was glad I got him in as I got food into him just as he was really hungry. Daddy's arrival was well timed and we were back to normal. Before we knew it the doorbell rang and there was a teary eyed Mommy and a grinning Davis. We spent the afternoon playing and D loved snuggling and climbing all over his Mom.
We made it! He is so well adjusted that he sailed through the week with nary a scar (psychological, anyway). Now he is asleep and Mom and Dad are at the movies, the perfect ending to a lovely week. Tomorrow we are all going to the zoo and then Gramma will be the one yelling and clinging to the door frame as she will have to leave her sweet boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment