Just a normal Sunday right? It started out that way, but midway through the opening hymn something caught my eye. People toward the front were moving and then 2 guys leaped over the pews. It dawned on me that my friend had passed out (this has happened a few times when I was with her). When the Bishopric ran down from the stand and pulled her from the floor between the pews and out into the aisle, I jumped up and followed one of the pew jumpers out into the hall to see if blood was involved. I was thinking our new table cloths could be bleached if need be, but he was calling 911. We rushed back in and sat down near the ruckus and he and I relayed info to the dispatcher on his phone. The congregation had continued singing the hymn and now were sitting quietly. Our Bishopric 1st counselor is an anesthesiologist and was trying to revive her. She was not breathing well, but the paramedics arrived and I went back to talk to the police. Everyone just sat quietly and the Bishop and I debated moving everyone to the gym to not upset the kids, but the other ward had priesthood going on in there so we stayed put. Finally the ambulance guys brought a gurney in and I realized I should go to the hospital. I found out it was St. John's and started running around to my counselors with papers and instructions. I was grabbing my things to walk out when I heard the Bishop announcing calmly that these things happen and it was all taken care of and help your children process it and they will talk about it in Primary, etc. The high counselor had been sitting by himself on the stand the whole time and I hear he had 3 minutes to speak. Nice side benefit! I grabbed my coat, ran to the car and raced to the new emergency room. I ran to the desk and gave her the name and the lady looked on the computer and asked me what was wrong with her. I looked at her, and said, "I don't know, that is why she is here". She indicated she meant did she faint at church-yes. She had not arrived yet. I beat the ambulance! Not bad. They finally called me and I went back to the ER and they had her in a bay which is fancy hospital talk for in the hall, but they did have a curtain to pull around her as all the rooms were full. She was looking and sounding better and they hauled her off to xray, but I must have looked bad because the director of the ER wandered up and asked if I was OK. I assured her I was the friend, not the patient, but she offered me a cold drink and who was I to turn down my favorite with ice and a straw just how I like it? Eventually they came back and I made arrangements to have her car driven home from church and the high priest group leader showed up to get her keys. They decided to admit her and we trooped down the hall and into the elevator. Those transport ladies really book and I hustled to keep up. They remarked that "wheelies" would be nice. They settled her into a nice room and I called her kids and kept her company. She was settled and doing well and I got home just in time to answer the front door, still wearing my coat. It was my counselors and we had a presidency meeting for 2 hours.As I relate this I realize that it has not been that quiet in our chapel since 2002 when one of our notoriously boring members droned on for 40 minutes and everyone was literally in a stupor. No one whispered, babies didn't cry; you could hear a pin drop. Now if they could just figure out how to make that happen every Sunday......
Just one more chapter in my book, "My life as RS President"
Mj
3 comments:
Some people will do anything to get out of church on high council sunday.
You mean, "I don't like dull moments so I'll jump right in-head first." You wouldn't be the Marjeanator unless you did, and that's why you get a full week of in-your-face-Davis... (don't worry, we're not leaving him and taking off but you might want to by the time we leave) And I'm sure even Davis would be at attention if someone was taken out on a stretcher in sacrement. Apparently church needs a little more jazz to hold kids' attention, like my brother's church where they have a band with an electric guitar. It's a string instrument, right!?! I'm done.
I always miss out!
Post a Comment